This past spring, my sons and I planted more plants than we had room for. Our small porch quickly became over run with everything from herbs to beautiful flowers. Call me selfish, but I was not willing to give up a single one, so we finally decided to hang some of the plants so there would be some sort of organization. The plant hanger that I am sharing with you is the easiest plant hanger we made.
Easy Macrame Plant Hanger for Beginners
- 4 mm Rope (cut 2 pieces to 123 inches long and 1 to 160 in long)
- 2 inch metal ring
- Clear or Masking Tape
- Take your cuts of rope and wrap tape around the ends to keep them from fraying. We will be cutting any excess off at the end of the project, so don’t worry, you won’t have to look at the ugly tape for long.
- Folding your ropes in half from the middle, tie a cow hitch knot through your metal ring. Your 2 longer pieces of rope will be your outside or tying ropes.
- Start tying square knots, but only from the left side. You want it to spiral. Tie 10-12 of these.
- Once you have finished with the top of your plant hanger, you will need to tie the “basket” that will hold your flower pot. Start by measuring 18 inches down from the last square knot. Now, you will divide and tie the ropes in groups of 2 at the 18 inch mark.
- Taking your 3 groups of rope, measure down 3 to 4 inches. Now you will begin tying your 3 groups together at that measurement. Think of them as A, B, and C. You will tie one rope from A to once rope from B. Now the other rope from B, tie it to C. Now tie C’s extra rope to A.
- Once you have your “basket” made, you will measure down 3 inches from your last knots and tie all the ropes together in an overhand knot.
- Trim your ropes to the desired length.
You can print the pattern/ instructions for this plant hanger here.
Want to jazz up the look of your plant hanger? Check out our next post How to Make a Macrame Plant Hanger with Beads.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to give you an accurate representation, in order to help you make the best choice for you.