I have always hated putting my eyeglasses in my purse. The second I put them in, they fall all the way to the bottom, never to be seen again. Today I am going to fix that problem. We are going to be making a DIY eyeglass case with a hook so you can attach it in the inside top of your purse so your glasses stay where you put them.
How to Make an Eyeglass Case
- 2- 4 inch x 7 inch rectangles of patterned fabric ( this will be the outside of your case)
- 2- 4 inch x 7 inch rectangles of plain soft cotton fabric for your lining
- 2- 4 inch x 7 inch rectangles of felt or thin cotton batting
- 1 piece of ribbon – 3 inches long ( I used 5/8 inch wide, but you can use whatever size you want as long as it will fit in the hook)
- Sewing machine loaded with all purpose thread
- Sewing pins or clamps
- On your work surface, line up your rectangles of fabric in two stacks and in this order:
- Bottom – felt.
- Middle- facing right side up- patterned fabric.
- Top- plain fabric for lining.
- Fold your piece of ribbon in half and crease it with your finger nail.
- Take one if your stacks of fabric- using one of your short sides as the top, place the ribbon with the cut sides facing up in between the lining and patterned fabric in the top left corner about 1/4 in away from the left edge. Pin the ribbon in place.
- Sew- using a straight stitch- across the top edge at a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Repeat for the second stack with the ribbon.
- Once sewn, lift the lining piece of fabric up, laying it flat on your work surface. Repeat for the other stack.
- Lay the pieces together – right side to right side.
- Starting at the top right corner of the lining pieces, sew down the side (lining and patterned fabric), across the bottom, and back up to the left hand top corner of the lining leaving the top edge un-sewn.
- Trim the corners on the bottom- careful not to snip your sewn lines.
- Turn the project right side out using a chop stick or unsharpened pencil to turn out your corner.
- Once you have the project right side out, close the end of the lining by folding the edges in, then sew across the opening.
- Push your lining into the case straighten and add your clip hook to the ribbon. You can iron your case at this point if you would like it flatter.
This eyeglass case is a cheap and easy sew project that can be used as a quick gift to glasses wearers. It is also a great way to use up scraps of fabric and the odd pieces of quilt batting you may have laying around. Keep and eye out for more upcoming projects to make your everyday life easier.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to give you an accurate representation, in order to help you make the best choice for you.